Sight Word Games
Sight Word Bingo!
Sight word games can't be beat for teaching early readers that reading is FUN! Sight Word Bingo
is an easy-to-learn game for everyone.
If you need to be refreshed on
the rules of Bingo, check out the rules near the bottom of this page.
Features of our game:
- We've carefully selected 48 words from Fry's list of the first 100 words that all readers need to master.
- We've arranged them on four different game cards, all printable from our PDF file.
We've included a master list of the words we used, plus blank cards
from the same word list. The word list and all game cards are in the
pdf. You can also use the blank Bingo cards to make more sight word games
of your own, featuring slightly more difficult sight words.
When playing Bingo, learners have many exposures to the same words. They
must listen to the word as it's called out, they must look for it on
their game cards, they must distinguish it from other similar sight
words on their card, and finally, when they score 5 in a row, they must
read the words back to the other players to make certain they've covered
the correct words.
To play this Bingo game:
- Print out the master word list and playing cards from the pdf.
- Cut apart the master word list. Place the words in a bag or bowl.
sure each player has a different game card. We've provided 4 in our
pdf. We also have blank cards so you can make additional cards for more
- Make sure each player has markers or coins to cover the words as they are drawn from the bag.
- Choose someone to draw out one word at a time from the bag and call it out. Players cover the words that appear on their cards.
first player to cover 5 words in a row - horizontally, vertically, or
diagonally - wins the game. Players who score 5 in a row should read the
words aloud to the rest of the group to check their answers.
- Play several rounds. Award small prizes if you like.
More Sight Word Games and Activities:
Dolch Word Games for Kids:
Dolch word games can help beginning readers have fun while they
practice reading important words. This game is especially helpful for
students who need to work on visual discrimination. Grades K-2
Rabbit Reading Race:
One of our most popular games! Players read and complete sentences with
high-frequency words as they race to the finish line. Lots of fun!
Let's Sort It Out!:
Here's a great phonics game featuring short or long vowel sounds. Great
for beginners. Also a fun bonus game on this page! Grades K-2
You can find lots more free phonics games and sight word games at Spelling Words Well.
Go to main Reading Games For Kids page
Return from Sight Word Games to Word Games Home