Who wins when kids play fun reading games? Everyone! The kids learn valuable reading skills while they play and compete. Teachers and parents don't have to nag and drag kids through more dull drills.
Why not try several of our fun reading games while you're here?
Skill: Reading common sight words, making sensible sentences
Grade Level: 1 - 2
Objective: Be the first person to reach the end of the game board
Supplies: PDF Game Board and Sentence Cards; a marker for each player; a standard die
2) Cut the cards apart and put them in a pile, face down on the table.
3) The first person rolls the die and moves forward that number of spaces. He picks up a sentence card and reads it to the other players.
4) If the player can use one of the words on his space to complete his sentence, he remains on that space. If he cannot make a good sentence, he goes back to the space where he started. He rolls again, moves forward and chooses another sentence card.
5) After two attempts, if a player is unable to complete a sentence, he goes back to where his turn began, and his turn is over. NOTE: Players decide together if a sentence is acceptable. It's okay if it's silly, but it needs to be a proper sentence. For example, "I feel very small today" is okay. "We all love my" is not okay.
6) Sentences that have been used should be placed face down at the bottom of the pile.
7) The other players follow the same procedure, in order.
8) The first player to reach END wins the game.
Variation: For a longer game, use a spinner with just 3 - 4 spaces instead of a standard die.
Quick Draw: Kids must follow directions and draw simple objects correctly. Accurate reading comprehension is a must! Students can add additional directions, making this a game to reuse throughout the school year. Grades 2-4
We also recommend this Joke Qs and As game for grades 2-5. Your readers will laugh while they learn!
Try our free phonics games for your early learners. They're a lot of fun!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying sales.
Joyous Christmas Word Play Puzzlers
A great collection for all ages about the true meaning of Christmas! Learn more >>
Try these eBooks for learning fun!
FUN Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1 & 2 50 FUN pages! Learn more>>
AnyWord (TM) Spelling Practice Series!
Worksheets & activities for any spelling words. Learn more>>
The Spelling Bee Toolboxes
Everything you need for a successful spelling bee! Words, rules, sentences & other helps. Learn more>>
Teach your child to read!
Even a young child can read well in weeks. Learn more >>