Are you looking for some creative ways to teach third grade reading? You will probably want to add some of our creative third grade reading games to your tool box!
Skill: Antonyms (opposites)
Grade level: 3-4
Objective: Cover 4 words in a row
Supplies: pdf game cards, word cards, small colored squares of paper in different colors (one color per player)
1. Print the game cards and give one to each player. Print the word cards, cut apart, and place in a small paper bag. Give each player several colored squares of paper.
2. The first player draws a word card from
the bag and reads it to the group. Each player thinks about the opposite
of that word. She reads the words on her game board. If she finds the
word she covers it with a colored square.
3. The second player draws a word card. Play continues in the manner described above until one player has four markers in a row, across, down, or diagonally on his own game card. That player wins the round and earns 2 points. If no player gets 4 in a row, all players earn 1 point.
4. Play more rounds as time allows. Players may switch game cards for each round.
5. The player with the most points when game time ends is the winner.
1) Make additional game cards, arranging the same words in different places so that 3-4 students can play.
2) Practice other antonyms or synonyms using the same format with new game cards and word cards.
If you like kids' reading games like this one, you might also enjoy...
Q and A Reading Comprehension Games:Jokes and riddles are the focus of these fun reading games.
Quick Draw: Another fun game for reading comprehension.
Pick A Path: Students use a bit of strategy to move along the game board in this flexible reading game.
You can find lots of fun, educational games for spelling practice at Spelling Words Well which can also help build reading skills. Here are two examples:
Compound Word Wizards - Whole class or large-group activity for practicing compound word.
Double the Fun - To double or not to double the final consonant when adding a suffix? Another great game for spelling fun!
Please note that we have kids' crosswords and word scrambles. They're also a great way for kids to work on reading and spelling skills!
20 All-new puzzles for entertainment AND education! Parents and teachers, check out this brand-new collection today! Learn more>>
Ten fun word puzzles for all ages featuring the true meaning of Christmas! Learn more >>
FUN Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1 & 2
50 engaging printable pages for early learners! Learn more>>
AnyWord (TM) Spelling Practice Series!
Worksheets, games & activities for any spelling words. Learn more>>
Everything you need for a successful spelling bee! Words, rules, sentences & other helps. Learn more>>