Instilling a love for reading in children is so important. These free reading games are easy to use and children really enjoy playing them! This reading comprehension game is especially useful for teachers because it can be played over and over again.
Skill: Reading comprehension
Grade level: 2-4
Players: any number
Objective: Draw or write the correct items
Supplies: Instruction cards, paper and pencil for each player
1. Copy, laminate and cut apart the instruction cards. Make sure each player has paper and pencil. Shuffle instruction cards and place them face down.
2. The first player takes the top instruction card from the pile. He places it face up in plain view for all players to read. Here's a screen shot of a few of the cards:
3. Each player follows the steps in the directions to draw a shape, word or design on their papers.
4. When everyone is done, players compare their answers. If all answers are not the same, the players read the directions together, step by step to determine the correct outcome. Finally, the player who drew the card may check the answer key.
5. Each player with the correct outcome earns 1 point. Play several rounds. The player with the most points is the winner.
After your students have played with all 10 of our instruction cards, ask each one to write 3 more sets of Quick Draw instructions on a 3 x 5 card. Each student should write his choice of 3, 4, or 5 steps on the front, and the solution on a separate card, both labeled with his name. Use the new cards in future rounds of Quick Draw. Or put the cards in a center for kids to play on their own during free time.
Put the instructions on the board or overhead so the whole class can play this game.
Try more of our fun, free reading games:
Rabbit Reading Race: One of our most popular games! Players read and complete sentences with high-frequency words as they race to the finish line. Lots of fun! Grades 1-2
Spin It to Win Reading Game: Kids will enjoy this reading activity as they gain practice reading common words, phonics, making sensible sentences. Grades 1-3
Joke Qs and As Reading comprehension game featuring jokes! Grades 2-4
What's Missing and News Clues Two comprehension games for your upper elementary students to play in small groups.
You may also want to try some of our kids' crosswords, word searches and word scrambles for more learning fun!
20 All-new puzzles for entertainment AND education! Parents and teachers, check out this brand-new collection today! Learn more>>
Ten fun word puzzles for all ages featuring the true meaning of Christmas! Learn more >>
FUN Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1 & 2
50 engaging printable pages for early learners! Learn more>>
AnyWord (TM) Spelling Practice Series!
Worksheets, games & activities for any spelling words. Learn more>>
Everything you need for a successful spelling bee! Words, rules, sentences & other helps. Learn more>>