Instilling a love for reading in children is so important. These free reading games are easy to use and children really enjoy playing them! This reading comprehension game is especially useful for teachers because it can be played over and over again.
Skill: Reading comprehension
Grade level: 2-4
Players: any number
Objective: Draw or write the correct items
Supplies: Instruction cards, paper and pencil for each player
1. Copy, laminate and cut apart the instruction cards. Make sure each player has paper and pencil. Shuffle instruction cards and place them face down.
2. The first player takes the top instruction card from the pile. He places it face up in plain view for all players to read. Here's a screen shot of a few of the cards:
3. Each player follows the steps in the directions to draw a shape, word or design on their papers.
4. When everyone is done, players compare their answers. If all answers are not the same, the players read the directions together, step by step to determine the correct outcome. Finally, the player who drew the card may check the answer key.
5. Each player with the correct outcome earns 1 point. Play several rounds. The player with the most points is the winner.
After your students have played with all 10 of our instruction cards, ask each one to write 3 more sets of Quick Draw instructions on a 3 x 5 card. Each student should write his choice of 3, 4, or 5 steps on the front, and the solution on a separate card, both labeled with his name. Use the new cards in future rounds of Quick Draw. Or put the cards in a center for kids to play on their own during free time.
Put the instructions on the board or overhead so the whole class can play this game.
Try more of our fun, free reading games:
Rabbit Reading Race: One of our most popular games! Players read and complete sentences with high-frequency words as they race to the finish line. Lots of fun! Grades 1-2
Spin It to Win It Kids use spinners in this terrific reading game for grades 1-3
Joke Qs and As Reading comprehension game for grades 2-4
What's Missing and News Clues Two comprehension games for your upper elementary students to play in small groups.
Try these eBooks for learning fun!
FUN Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1 & 2 50 FUN pages! Learn more>>
AnyWord (TM) Spelling Practice Series!
Worksheets & activities for any spelling words. Learn more>>
The Spelling Bee Toolboxes
Everything you need for a successful spelling bee! Words, rules, sentences & other helps. Learn more>>
Teach your child to read!
Even a young child can read well in weeks. Learn more >>