Educational reading games are still useful for upper elementary grades. However, students at this age don’t want to play something that looks like it’s designed for a first grader.
Here is a game that’s simple to play and yet “mature” enough for middle grade students. Note that this game format can be used for a variety of reading skills.
Skill: Reading fluency**
Grade level: 5-6
Objective: Be the first player to reach the Bulls-Eye
Supplies: PDF game board, a game piece for each player, text from basal readers, textbooks, library books, articles, or other sources.
1. Print the target PDF game board. Print the target game board. Assign the text of your choice. Each player should have a copy of the same material so they can check each other’s work. Also decide if you want students to practice reading sentences or entire paragraphs with fluency.
2. Each player puts his game piece on the outer ring.
3. Player 1 reads the first sentence/paragraph. If he reads it smoothly without any mistakes, he advances to the second ring.
If he makes a mistake, he stays on the outer ring.
4. The other players follow in turn.
5. The first player to make it to the bulls-eye wins the round and earns 1 point.
6. Play several rounds. The player with the most points is the winner.
**Use this same simple format to design other fun reading games of your own.
Rabbit Reading Race: Players read and complete sentences with high-frequency words as they race to the finish line. Lots of fun! Grades 1-2
Quick Draw - Kids must follow directions and draw simple objects correctly. Accurate reading comprehension is a must! Students can add additional directions, making this a game to reuse throughout the school year.
Joke Qs and As: Reading comprehension games featuring jokes. Kids love humor and will want to play these games over and over! Grades 2-5
Sight Word Bingo: A ready-to-print Bingo game with some of the most basic sight words for beginning readers. Grades K-1
Dolch Word Games for Kids: Dolch word games can help beginning readers have fun while they practice reading important words. This game is especially helpful for students who need to work on visual discrimination. Grades K-2
Let's Sort It Out!: Here's a great phonics game featuring short or long vowel sounds. Great for beginners. Also a fun bonus game on this page! Grades K-2
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying sales.
Joyous Christmas Word Play Puzzlers
A great collection for all ages about the true meaning of Christmas! Learn more >>
Try these eBooks for learning fun!
FUN Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1 & 2 50 FUN pages! Learn more>>
AnyWord (TM) Spelling Practice Series!
Worksheets & activities for any spelling words. Learn more>>
The Spelling Bee Toolboxes
Everything you need for a successful spelling bee! Words, rules, sentences & other helps. Learn more>>
Teach your child to read!
Even a young child can read well in weeks. Learn more >>