Our primary reading games help to make learning fun. We all know how important that is!
This is a super-simple game that gives kids a fun way to practice reading number words. It can be played again and again. We think you'll like it!
Skill: Reading number words from 1-10
Objective: Cover 3 words in a row
Supplies: paper, pencil, number word cards (make your own or use our PDF), colored squares of paper in two different colors.
1. Print our number cards, or make your own. Cut number cards apart and place in a small paper bag. Give each player his own paper, pencil and about 6 colored markers.
2. Each player draws a separate tic-tac-toe board and fills it with any numbers from 1 to 10.
3. For the first game, both players use the board drawn by player 1. Player 1 draws a number from the bag, reads the word, and covers that space on his board with a colored marker. Player 2 draws a number card and covers that number his colored marker. Have the key available in case players need to check their answers.
4. Continue in the same manner until one player has three markers in a row, across, down, or diagonally. That player wins the round and earns 2 points. If no player gets 3 in a row, both players earn 1 point.
5. If a player draws a card for a number that is not on the board, his turn is over.
6. For the second game, use the board drawn by Player 2. Place all the number cards back into the bag. Player 2 draws the first card. Continue as in round 1.
Play as many rounds as time allows, switching back and forth between game boards. The player with the most points at the end of the game time is the winner.
Here's a sample game board:
We also recommend these primary reading games:
Pick A Path Game: This fun game helps build reading recognition and meaning skills. It can be adapted for grades 1-6.
Sight Word Bingo: A ready-to-print Bingo game with some of the most basic sight words for beginning readers. Grade level: K-1
Dolch Word Games for Kids: Dolch word games can help beginning readers have fun while they practice reading important words. This game is especially helpful for students who need to work on visual discrimination. Grades K-2
Quick Draw - Free Reading Game: Kids must follow directions and draw simple objects correctly. Accurate reading comprehension is a must! Students can add additional directions, making this a game to reuse throughout the school year. Grades 2-4
Rabbit Reading Race: Players read and complete sentences with high-frequency words as they race to be the first to the finish line. Grade level: 1-2
20 All-new puzzles for entertainment AND education! Parents and teachers, check out this brand-new collection today! Learn more>>>
FUN Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1 & 2
AnyWord (TM) Spelling Practice Series!
Worksheets & activities for any spelling words. Learn more>>
The Spelling Bee Toolboxes
Everything you need for a successful spelling bee! Words, rules, sentences & other helps. Learn more>>