Second grade reading games are a fun way for kids to practice reading skills! Here's just one from our collection. Check out the links at the bottom of the page for more reading games for kids of all ages.
Skill: Reading words, finding rhymes
Grade level: 2 -3
Objective: Be the first player to reach END on the game board
Supplies: PDF game board, instruction cards, game piece for each player
1.Print and laminate the game board and cards. Cut the cards apart. Give each child a game piece to move around the board.
2. Shuffle the cards and place them face down on the table.
3. Player 1 reads the instructions on the card and moves his piece forward accordingly. For example, if the card reads “Rhymes with peep,” he moves to the space that says keep.
4. Players follow in turn.
5. Near the end of the game, if a player draws a card, for which there is no word left ahead of him on the game board, he is unable to move and his turn is over.
6. If players use all the cards before the game ends, the cards should be shuffled and reused.
7. The first player to reach the last space, WEST, wins. Players can reach that space by drawing one of these cards: rhymes with best, rhymes with vest, or go ahead 3 spaces.
Here are some more games your second graders will enjoy:
Pick A Path - Game to Teach Reading: Build reading recognition and comprehension skills. Can be adapted for grades 1-6.
Spin It - Reading Game: Kids gain practice reading common words, phonics, making sensible sentences. Grades 1-3
Joke Questions and Answers: Reading comprehension games featuring some great jokes. Grades 2-4
Kids often enjoy puzzles, so be sure to add some of our crosswords to your second grade reading activities! These puzzles reinforce reading, spelling and vocabulary. Here are just a few from our large collection.
Color Crossword for Kids Try to unscramble color words in this puzzle. This is a super-simple crossword for young learners.
Rhyme Time Crossword Puzzle Here's a fun crossword for young children to enjoy as they complete the sentences with words that rhyme.
Calendar Crossword Do you know all the words (and correct spellings) for these terms from the calendar?
Words that Begin with L In this fun word play puzzler, every answer begins with the letter L. How long will it take you to solve it?
20 All-new puzzles for entertainment AND education! Parents and teachers, check out this brand-new collection today! Learn more>>>
FUN Spelling Worksheets for Grades 1 & 2
AnyWord (TM) Spelling Practice Series!
Worksheets & activities for any spelling words. Learn more>>
The Spelling Bee Toolboxes
Everything you need for a successful spelling bee! Words, rules, sentences & other helps. Learn more>>